The Student News Site of Amherst High School

The Talon

The Talon

The Talon

Basketball is America’s game

Why is basketball one of the greatest of all American sports, one played at every level of competition from elementary school to the professional ranks and the Olympics.

Well, I’ll tell you. Basketball is where memories are made, bonds are formed, friendships built, and character shaped. A game where you need to know that the brothers around you can be trusted, are willing to help and lift each other up, and to strive for greatness. A floor that can break you down or be the foundation of your life.

Basketball is much more than just a game. It brought me closer to my family that’s not family. The bonds that I made from the sport are some of the most special bonds in my life, and the memories are priceless. Growing up and watching all my buddies develop and become who they are today is my favorite thing. Thinking back on the silly stuff we did at tournaments, and of course, the games we won. Not only the mental and emotional side of the game, but the physical aspect of it. It helped me with every other sport. Endurance for football, explosiveness for baseball, and has kept me in shape my whole life. After a hard game my body feels tired, but I know that because I practiced hard for the days leading up to that game, that no matter what my body will recover. It will build with every practice, game, and lift. It has put me in a physical state that I can look in the mirror and be satisfied but a drive to work for more.

The intricacies of the game have even the smartest of the smart tripping over their glasses, so don’t feel afraid if you don’t know much about basketball. Overall, it’s a great sport that does so much more than just being a sport. It is never too late to join and have the time of your life.