The Student News Site of Amherst High School

The Talon

The Talon

The Talon

Voss leads on track and in classroom

Max Voss is a senior at Amherst High School who is extremely motivated and talented. Max has long curly hair and claims he’s “strawberry blonde,” neglecting the fact of his real ginger origin. Max often is studying for his classes, trying to better himself cognitively. Even though he has school smarts he is not an introvert and is very personable. Max also is very talented and motivated to compete at a high level in sport.

Max and I are the same age and have seen each other since elementary school in the hallways, various classes, and field trips. Although we wouldn’t consider each other as friends, we were still friendly to each other. My sophomore year as a member of the same Cross Country Running and Track & Field team, Max and I spent a lot of time together training and competing side by side. During the past two years, I have got to see just how amazing of a person Max truly is, and while I would call him a friend, he’s more like a brother to me. 

Max has a lot of irons on the fire. Max has worked for a great amount of time at the local grocery store “Amherst Family Foods,” or most commonly known as “AFF ” while also juggling both high school sports and club sports, excelling at cross country running, soccer, hockey, cross country skiing, and track & field. Competing at high levels in both cross-country running, and track & field, Max was able to compete in the Division 2 Wisconsin State Final for two years in cross country running, placing 42nd out of 152 people his junior year. Then, as a senior, Max placed 2nd out of 152 runners, finishing the state runner-up. During his junior track & field season, Max was beaten out at sectionals in the mile. However, he would punch his ticket to the Division 2 Wisconsin State final with his quick last leg in the 3200-meter relay. Max has been a cross country running team captain for 2 years as he displays great leadership skills which motivate everyone to do their best. Max is in a leadership position on the track and field team as he shows a great knowledge of the sport in all aspects and is approachable by the coaches, officials, and his teammates. 

Not only is Max an incredible athlete, Max plays the flute and has been a part of the Amherst Music department since middle school. He has shown his musical skills through a variety of music programs and venues over the years. Max has shown he is an incredibly talented flutist. Max also takes part in both quiz bowl and math league. Where he goes to quiz bowl and math league meets when he can to help the school win multiple competitive battles of the mind competitions. Max is a complete academic weapon, holding a G.P.A. of 4.0 while also taking challenging college-level classes such as AP Calculus AB and AP Psychology.  Achieving a 5 in the nationwide exam for both of the AP classes, he took his junior year. It is the highest score one can get on the nationwide exam. Max is an extremely smart individual who has scored a 33 on his ACT and has a super score of 34. Max continues to challenge himself in his senior year with AP Calculus BC, along with other dual credit college courses through Mid-State Technical College. Max wants to go to college and be a robotic engineer and also compete in college sports, continuing his passion for running.