The Student News Site of Amherst High School

The Talon

The Talon

The Talon

The thrill of the hunt

Gearing up for the season
A+pair+of+does+seek+refuge+in+a+local+cemetery.+
A pair of does seek refuge in a local cemetery.

Many students and staff consider the rifle or bow season their favorite time of year. The feeling of sighting in your bow or sighting in your rifle is the best because you know you are the one that did everything to get to this point so if you mess up it’s your problem. If you are lucky enough to bag something, and did all all of the work to get to that point, the feeling is just the best.

It’s fun waking up in the morning and going out and setting up your hunting stand in pursuit of your first buck or doe. The wait is worth sitting there and calling for the deer or the animal that you are hunting for and then seeing it come into view. If you do not get anything that first day, you’re back at it trying new methods and areas in hopes of changing your luck.

During the bow season, you can get in a tripod stand against a tree or just get into a normal stand. Prior to the big hunt, you may just want to take a few days before the season starts and just go scouting to try and find where the deer come out to feed. Through scouting, you can observe what time they go out to a spot to lay down for the night. Many hunters just constantly go out so the deer eventually think that you are not a threat; at that point they get used to the hunters so they don’t run away.

Most hunters seek some good land where there is more deer and more activity. They call for them to come out, but others may spook the deer if they prove to be good inexperienced. Those who are experienced dress in camo and have a tent gun and food and ammunition as well as a big bag for the meat. They will go out for days and they will get a deer, process it, and then leave the mountains with the game they have bagged.