The Student News Site of Amherst High School

The Talon

The Talon

The Talon

Hunting season is in full swing

Gun deer season just a few weeks away

This time of the year is the best for hunters. A good hunter loves going out early in the morning, hoping to get a deer. Hunters may not always have success, but that’s how this world works. Late fall, color-changing leaves,  fields full of deer, and the cold morning and nights. The best a hunter could wish for.

Hunters need lots of equipment like rifles, bows, and special clothing. Every so often you are going to come across people that had an incident or something illegal. If you do see something like people hunting on your land, or shooting at someone, you should report this right away.

Equipment can cost a lot, but it’s good to feel safe. Every so often, hunters witness illegal activity. Those who see something suspicious, should report it. If it’s not clear in the scope, head on home because even those wearing camo can be mistaken for an animal or wander in harm’s way. Accidents happen when individuals are not responsible with firearms. According to the DNR website, one such incident occurred early in the morning on public land when a fellow hunter took an arrow to the face. This happens when hunters are not aware of their surroundings. 

Deer tags are required in most counties. Those who travel out of Portage county, must get a tag for the specific county in which they are hunting. Hunters can be charged for hunting in zones in which they lack a license.

The annual youth hunt was held Oct. 7-8. This is the time for a kid to get his or her first deer. The gun deer season is set for Nov,18-26. The holiday hunts are always the best, and while trying to get a deer with antlers can be hard, it’s worth the wait to have a deer on the wall. When hunting, make sure to use something to hide one’s scent from the deer. They have amazing abilities which is why it is so fun to hunt them in the Wisconsin woods.