The Student News Site of Amherst High School

The Talon

The Talon

The Talon

The American Dream as interpreted by today’s AHS students

Does it still exist in the minds of Generation Z? Survey says….

While reading A Raisin the Sun by Lorraine Hansberry, students in English 12 were asked their views regarding the American Dream. Their views are an accurate reflection, I suspect, of students and adults across America. This is an ever-evolving concept, one placed under great strain, but still evident in the thoughts and aspirations of these young people. – Mr. Van Lannen

“Yes, I believe in the American dream. I believe that if people work hard enough you could have those things like a house, a stable job, and good pay. You can have a family, care for them, and be able to financially support them.” – Anna Bernarde

“No, although it sounds nice there’s no way to achieve the American Dream as everyone’s version is too expensive. Or too violent. Many people still believe in the American Dream due to it giving them some sort of hope, and, yes, people may get lucky but that’s the luck of the draw.” – Samarah Campbell

“During the 1950s people believed the American dream was made up on the idea that people had to have a big house, white picket fence, and a happy family. Yet over the years, through the times of trouble, including the housing crash of 2008, that idea has changed. My idea of the American dream is that you own a big home, make an income of 100k a year, and have a family.  Even though that’s my idea of what the American dream is, it changes based on each person and what they believe and how they take a different stance on the subject.” – Logan Derezinski

“I believe in the American dream because I hope to become a veteran myself. I would like to come home after I am done with my service. I would like to be able to come back and rest after 12-hour days of work to a loving wife and kids.” – Beau Diederich.

“I think the American dream is true only on the surface; when I was younger I used to idealize America so much. It felt like it was the perfect place where everybody was happy and there was nothing more you could ask for. But now, at 17, I see how many problems this country has and how there is not an American Dream; I think you can just create your own, however, by making the right choices in life and always thinking positive.” – Cecilia DiFausto

“Yes, I still believe in the American dream. I think if you work hard toward your goals you can achieve anything you want. I think it’s achievable for sure but some people have different ideas for their life and that’s okay, too.” – Jasmine Elias

“No, I do not believe in the American Dream because so much has changed in 2023. The economy has gone down over the last few years while the rate of violence and suicide has gone up. The American dream is supposed to represent freedom but the real question is ‘Do we actually have freedom like we are told?'” – Maddie Foster

“No, I don’t believe in the American dream. Our government is biased and there is rarely equal treatment toward all citizens. With the economy right now some people can’t afford to buy groceries much less send there kids to a good college.” – Ana Grawvunder

“I still think the American dream is true in some way shape or form but not the same as even 10 or 20 years ago. Hard work usually pays off and without people working this country does not run because we need tax dollars to fund things; people on unemployment do not help the cause. Money is changing more and more every year – even in its worth. Land costs are a huge part of why this is changing. Land values have at least doubled in the past five years. Without a good income, one can hardly make it – not 50k a year but more like 100k just to make it. And having good relationships with people and ways to go around struggles will help. Overall, I think it takes more smarts to achieve this nowadays and you must have a strategy.” – Jacob Kirsling

“The American Dream has been a statement for hundreds of years. As the world has grown more and more, people have fallen in the belief of the American Dream. In my eyes, I do not believe in the American Dream. I feel that the world and the government have made it nearly impossible to reach those dreams. I also believe that the American Dream is perceived in many different ways. Through my perspective, I feel that my dreams could qualify as the ‘American Dream’ – building my own house, retiring before ‘Retirement age’, and having a perfect family.” – Austin Kosobucki

“No, too many people make big deals out of small things and can never agree on stuff. Too many people hate on each other for their beliefs as well. It is still possible but a lot of people hate on every little thing or belief.” – Charlie Lehman

“The American Dream is something that is mostly only achieved if your set up for it or work and put your everything into it. Some have hard time achieving it because they either didn’t have the support system from others to help them or had hardships in life that set them back.” – Sydnee Neuman

“I personally do believe in the American dream. I often see people who want a simple life with a small house. But on the other hand, I see MANY people who want a big house, and who want to make millions to spend on their kids and their big family. I see a lot of this on social media actually.” – Hailey Portzen

“No, I do not personally believe in the American Dream. Personally, I grew up in a household where the American Dream didn’t exist. There are also a lot of problems in the United States that some people don’t know about or choose to ignore because they may view it as ‘Not their problem’ or, why should they care because it is not currently relevant to them and/or their family. Another reason why I don’t really believe in the American Dream is mainly with how our society is currently with the amount of divorces going on which I experienced first hand myself before the age of 5.” – Sarah Pyefinch

“No, because the chances are not that great and once you older – to the point where you can make it happen – you will probably be too lazy to do so.” – David Scott

“I believe in the American dream because I believe everyone should have a chance to live the dream if they work hard enough for it. My dream is to have my own brokerage with a husband and three kids. I want to live on lots of land with a barndominium. I also want some outside kitties and two golden retrievers.” – Carrie Snider

“In America today there are many things wrong, but that’s the same as every other country. Although with all the problems there are in today’s world, I still believe through hard work you can live the American Dream whether that’s running a small family dairy farm or living in the suburbs with a little backyard and barbecuing with the neighbors while working a 40-hour work week.” – Porter Stuczynski