The Student News Site of Amherst High School

The Talon

The Talon

The Talon

Halloween costumes are a tradition that dates back centuries

Is it best to make or buy?

Masks, costumes, and candy are a staple of Halloween. Many people enjoy the holiday parties, trick-or-treating, the cool weather, and especially the costumes.

Halloween was traditionally a time when the ancient Celtic festival of Samhain was intended to fend off ghosts using bonfires and costumes made using animal skins. In the fires, they burned  crops and sacrificed animals. When the celebration was over, they would re-light their bonfires in order to protect them from the coming winter.

In the 8th century, Pope Gregory III designated November 1st as a day to honor all saints. Soon, All Saints Day included some of the traditions of Samhain. The evening before was known as All Hallows Eve, and was then later known as Halloween. Nowadays, people wear costumes and tell spooky stories as a tradition.

People who dress up for Halloween have the option to make or buy their costumes. Courtney Markley said that she makes her costumes. “It looks much better than the store bought costumes,” she said. Samantha Page said she doesn’t dress up for Halloween. “I feel like I’m too old now,” she said, “but I think about it sometimes and I think I should start doing it again.”

Some people even decide to dress their pets up in costumes. This year, Markley’s dog, Tabby, is going as a pumpkin. Page is dressing her cat up as a bat. Many people enjoy celebrating Halloween by dressing up their pets as well as themselves.

According to the U.S. News, some of the most popular google-searched costumes in the United States during 2022 were witches, Spider-man, dinosaur, Stranger Things, fairy, pirate, rabbit, cheerleader, cowboy, and Harlequin. A chart website shows that when it comes to pets, the favorite costume of choice is a pumpkin, followed by a hot dog, super hero, cat and finally a bumble bee.

Halloween is one of the most popular holidays in the United States. Many people celebrate the day by trick-or-treating, or by hosting spooky parties. The day was originally intended for keeping away ghosts by wearing costumes made of animal pelts. Now, it is widely known as a tradition to wear costumes of anything people can imagine, but instead of keeping away ghosts, most everyone collects candy.