The Student News Site of Amherst High School

The Talon

The Talon

The Talon

Life as a foreign exchange student is a growth experience like no other

There are obvious reasons for studying abroad– learning a new language and getting to know a new culture — but there are a number of other life-altering reasons to consider.

Sure, there are some moments when I find myself asking why I am doing this and why I wanted it so much even though I had such a great life in Germany. My friends, my family and everything I need is in Germany so why did I accept such a big challenge? All alone in starting a completely new life, without knowing anyone, without knowing that I would miss my family so much. There are many reasons I could share about the merits of life as a foreign exchange student, but I will begin with the most important reasons.

What I have recognized since I am here is how much I have learned about myself. You are your best friend and that means you are forced to deal with you. Through this experience you grow so much, and get so much stronger than you would ever hope by staying home in your comfort zone. You get a completely new perception of life when abroad and start to become more thankful for every little thing. 

Another big aspect of life as a foreign exchange student involves the concept of independence. You are building a new life, and the happier you get, the more proud you are of yourself for making the best of every new situation.

Your life doesn’t feel real most of the time when you are away from home. Admittedly, sometimes it feels like a dream, but you don’t wake up. A year in a foreign country will always be a significant part of your life, an important part of your personality, and will be unforgettable.

Every little moment is precious and special and will teach you the value of life. That’s what it means to be an exchange student and that’s why I encourage others to give it a try.