Amherst basketball splits doubleheader at Iola-Scandinavia

Katie Lechton, Sports Editor

What would’ve been a two-day long adventure for Amherst turned into a “Pack the Gym Night” at Iola-Scandinavia High School due to a snowstorm that hit the area a day earlier.

Prior to the games, the Amherst boys team sat at 2-2, coming off of their first conference loss of the year to Bonduel. Amherst was at an early deficit to start the first half but came crawling back to get the two-point lead heading into halftime.

The second half was completely controlled my Amherst as they inevitably won the game 59-34. Junior Jaren Alfuth led all scoreres with 14 points, followed by Senior Matthew Glodowski and Iola-Scandinavia’s Ian Koss at 12. Amherst moved to 3-2 and then fell back to 3-3 overall with a loss to the Lodi Blue Devils a few days later.

Meanwhile, the Amherst girls were sitting at 4-3 following a win against the Shiocton Chiefs. From the tip Iola-Scandinavia took control of the game and had a 8-point lead going into halftime. Following the teddy bear toss and the naming of raffle winners, the lady Falcons fought to come back, and nearly did. However, the atmosphere in the ThunderDome was too much for Amherst, as they lost to the T-Birds 37-48. Amherst drops to an even 4-4 on the year and takes on the Markesan Hornets at home on Dec. 20.

All home matchups of Amherst Boy’s and Girl’s Basketball can be found on Zaleski Sports.