The Student News Site of Amherst High School

The Talon

The Talon

The Talon

Girls hold off Menominee in thriller

Both JV and Varsity claim victories to open new year

It may have been cold on Thursday night but the competition was heating up in the CWC-East as the Amherst falcons welcomed the Menominee Indian Eagles for the continuation of conference play. This was also a big game for the Lady Falcons, as freshman Alexis Wierzba, who got the call up to varsity earlier in the season, earned her first career start alongside talented seniors Tatum Maves and Scout Spadoni.

The first half was dominated by the Falcons as Spadoni put 20 points onto the scoreboard for Amherst, which put her over her average of 17.6 per game. She scored the first points of the night on a three point play early in the half. Spadoni ended the night with 29 points and numerous rebounds.

The Eagles, however, were not going to go down without a fight. After going scoreless in the first half, Ayanna Smith had 13 points as the Eagles tied the game late in the second half. Amherst was able to pull away, however, after Junior Maddie Lusic hit two clutch free throws to give the Falcons the lead as the clock hit zero. Amherst took the win 54-51 to advance to 7-5 overall and 3-2 in conference play.