The Student News Site of Amherst High School

The Talon

The Talon

The Talon

Jasmine a gem of a friend

My friends always tell me I have a specialty for English, and writing in general. Although I do not possess professional grammar, or fully understand the right and wrong ways to form a proper essay just yet, I’ve always been more of a creative type of person with endless support from my friends. And no one has been more supportive than my friend, Jasmine. Even outside of school, I don’t think I’ve ever met anyone with as much support as she holds for me. 

Jasmine is a very unique, and riveting individual who has a mind unlike anyone I have ever met. She has long, wavy light brown hair with eyes the color of emeralds. She has a lighter skin tone that always looks much darker in the sun, and her nose and cheeks reflect pink tints to them when also exposed. She has very prominent freckles spread across her whole face when they aren’t covered with makeup, and her smile could brighten anyone’s day. You can often distinguish her because of her iconic sweatshirt, jeans and boots combination, but she might occasionally dress up. Either way, she is a very nice, and beautiful person who has been there for me when I needed her the most.

If there was something I had to choose that I love or care the most about Jasmine, it would be how deeply she cares about me, and her friends. Although she is very chaotic, and always bursting with energy, she has a very good and kind heart. After having gotten hit with some family news that left us all in tears, and had me shocked, unable to believe my ears when I had heard, Jasmine was the first one to show up at my house. I had previously sent her a message, letting her know what had happened since we have been friends from the end of elementary up until now, and know basically everybody in each of our families. Not even five minutes later, I got a call from her saying that she had left work early, and was on her way over to my house. The news that we had received had hurt Jasmine just as much as it did myself. She has always been like a second family to me for years, so this was a situation in which both of us were torn to pieces, and needed nothing more than comfort from each other. Jasmine is like a shining star to me, guiding me through my darkest nights when I need her the most.

This was one of those factors that had actually shocked me when I was learning new things about Jasmine. Over the years, I have seen just how much she cares about the littlest to the largest things, and it never fails to surprise me. Whether it is something in school, or a situation at home, I have noticed that she will not hesitate to push herself into the middle of it, and stand up for what she believes in. I do not have a specific story to share for the risk that I may exploit herself or her family, but at school, she has pushed her way into an argument, and came out victorious, or at least with a better understanding as to why the argument even happened in the first place. However, I have seen how courageous she is, and her confidence leads her to many victories in the battles that she fights, no matter how hard they are.

Me and Jasmine have had our rough patches, and there’s no denying that. Many fights have broken out between us, some that have caused us to nearly end our friendship. However, despite these arguments and what everyone says is for the best, we work things out in the end. Sometimes, it is shocking how it even happens, but our relationship is so incredibly strong, I think in some scenarios, it just works itself out. Jasmine is like my rock, always there to support me, and keep me grounded in times of need. I think I could honestly describe our relationship as a sibling bond. We fight, yes, but we also care about each other and our well-being a lot. 

Jasmine has shown me that no matter what happens, she will always love and care for me unconditionally, and she has taught me that it doesn’t matter how other people view me or my beliefs, as long as I believe in myself. I have learned how to be a better person because of her, and I am forever grateful to have her in my life.